Board index Off Topic Music chat-room

Favorite J-Music artists aside from Mika?

Postby Ana » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:44 pm

Dear Forumers:

Are there any other J-Music artists you like or listen to aside from Mika, if any? They can be any J-music artists at all (J-Pop, J-Rock, Anime, etc.). For me, the J-music artist with which I'm most familiar aside from Mika is Ayumi Hamasaki. I don't have any of her CDs but I did listen to a lot of her songs on the Internet. I also listened to a few other J-musicians such as L'arc en Ciel, Hyde, and Yuna Ito but I don't own any of their CDs (or any CDs by almost any other J-music artist for that matter).
I have ten thousand kitties in my room. (Just kidding.)
Ana

Re: Favorite J-Music artists aside from Mika?

Postby Chewbacca » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:33 pm

Oh, nice topic! I was thinking about making the same.

1. L'Arc~en~Ciel - my first japanese love. I adore that band, Hyde is my all-time idol, I've even been to their concert in Paris last year and cried like three times, rofl :P Their CD collection is my second biggest, right after Ms. Nakashima.
I like solo Hyde as well, but the Vamps are kinda cheesy, although they have some nice songs.

2. Utada Hikaru - my second japanese love. I listened to her before Mika, and I have to say that Utada rocks. I can't wait for her new japanese album. This is The One was not bad but I prefer her Japanese music. It's kinda more poetic and less mainstream.

3. YUI - she's adorable, I only have her one album, but I'm planning to buy all of them.

4. older MUCC - guys are awesome, especially on hoyouku and homurauta

5. Abe Fuyumi - not quite a popular artist, but I gotta tell you, she's amazing. Her voice is heavenly.

6. Abingdon boys school, fantastic plastic machine, Nobuo Uematsu, Eri Nobuchika, Genki Rockets, Zard, Makino Yui, Koda Kumi, School Food Punishment and more. Those are the ones I mainly listen to. Of course as you can tell from my last.fm account, Mika is the winner :P
Chewbacca

Postby muigeital » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:49 am

i use to listen to a lot of jpop before i converted to kpop, but there are still a good handful of artists that i still listen to, one of course being mika, herself (or else why am i here anyway? XD).

pre-conversion days
w-inds.
i use to be a major super fan. keita was my favourite member. this group marked the most insane point of me being a fan of any celebrity; i owned most their singles, albums, best-of, dvds, posters, photobooks and even tour goods. then my favourite member decided to release some solo projects and thats when i started to find that their music is no longer what i've been loving of. i still follow their material now and then, but nothing beats their old tracks. :(

ayumi hamasaki
she's my queen. i discovered her at the same time i found w-inds. i love her a lot. although she may sometimes suck at singing live, but there's no doubt she's a very good performer. her concerts are just entertaining to the max. i still follow her, but her music hasn't been getting to me much lately.

post-conversion days
the Gazette
i love their music. visual-kei often scares me and is too hardcore for me with the screaming and such, ie) DEG (i gave them a try, but...), but they were just right. they are the primary jrock artist i follow and sometimes i sample other jrock groups like SADS.

kimura kaela
i love how she is unique with her own style. her songs could either being really upbeat, cheerful or she can just sing out a beautiful ballad. she also has an interesting fashion sense like mika does.

ikimono gakari
i first heard one of their songs on my friend's blog. then i heard them sing SAKURA on kouhaku and i automatically fell in love with her. their style is different from all the jpop stuff i use to hear.

HALICALI
they put a nice twist on hip-hop. although its kinda hard to follow them cuz they don't seem as that popular =\, but i still try my best to look out for their stuff on forums and their last.fm page.

thelma aoyama
i sampled her recently, and i absolutely love her voice. her newest album, emotions, is just too beautiful.

...but yea, now my last.fm is pretty much dominated by kpop, lol.
♥♥♥♥ 浜崎あゆみ ♥ 東方神起 ♥ 이효리 ♥ 中島美嘉 ♥ Super Junior ♥
muigeital

Postby Utena » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:35 pm

I've experimented different phases, but Mika still remains as the main artist in my playlist
Actually, I'm fond of :

Miliyah Kato : I know her since her debut album "ROSE" and by the time, she became one of my favorite artists ever. She's very talented (she can write beautiful lyrics and compose her music)
The cool thing with her is that she's not attractive at all (I mean, she's not really what you can call a beauty lol) but still, she has something in her personality and her acting that makes her cute and interesting.

Eri Nobuchika : she's not very active nowadays but still, her music is pure awesomeness!
Her voice and style are both really cool <3

ayaka : loving her since her debut, too bad she needs to retire for a while because of sickness :/
She really has a powerful voice that can make you feel different kind of feelings just by listening, that's something really amazing to me.

Ayumi Hamasaki : yeah, obviously, you can't miss her when you start jmusic lol
But, despite her weird voice, (which is totally suiting her songs imo) she's a person I respect for her hardwork and passion! I met her briefly when she came to Paris back in 2008 and I was surprised by her attitude. I thought she would ignore us all, but she was really happy to sign our CDs and stuffs, and even talk a bit with some of her fans. She's really someone attached to her fans and I think that's a part of what made her so famous.

Mai Fukui : she deserves more attention! She's such a talented artist, her voice is unique and her songs are awesome imo <3

+ BoA, Utada Hikaru, Kana Nishino, JASMINE, NEWS, alan, melody., JUNE, Yuna Ito, Thelma Aoyama, BENI, K, ...
Utena
Site Admin

Postby Lauren » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Chewbacca wrote:1. L'Arc~en~Ciel - my first japanese love. I adore that band, Hyde is my all-time idol, I've even been to their concert in Paris last year and cried like three times, rofl :P Their CD collection is my second biggest, right after Ms. Nakashima.
I like solo Hyde as well, but the Vamps are kinda cheesy, although they have some nice songs.

L'Arc~en~Ciel is also my first Japanese love :D. A girl in my high school french class always had pictures of HYDE on her binder, and DIY t-shirts with HYDE's name sprawled on her shirts. I was curious to who this HYDE fellow was, so I looked him up, and fell in love with his music and L'Arc's music. I've gone to one of HYDE's solo concerts when he came to California :). I have to admit, however, that I'm no longer a big fan of HYDE/L'Arc.

BUCK-TICK -- I absolutely love B-T! I love them the most for Atsushi's gorgeous vocals xD.

SID -- I like the jazz-rock style. The vocalist, Mao, also has nice, smooth vocals.

Utada Hikaru -- I first heard her song "Simple and Clean" from the KH game (back when I knew nothing about Japanese music/video games. I bought KH because I love Disney xD), and I didn't like the song very much; however, after hearing "The Flavor of Life" from Hana Yori Dango, I became a fan of her music.

Erm, there are probably more, but I can't think of them at the moment!
Lauren

Postby yuzo » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:46 pm

Mika is the first OF COURSE but my others favorites singers are:

2 Aya Kamiki
3 Avril Lavigne
4 Angela Zhang
5 Younha
6 Yumi Shizukusa
7 Yuna Ito
8 Anna Tsuchiya
9Sowelu
10 Namie Amuro
11 BoA
12 Ayumi Hamasaki
13 Kumi Koda
yuzo

Postby piccolinavoce » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:26 pm

Moi c'est Mika,Olivia Lufkin Hyde, l'Arc en Ciel, Vamps, Yuna Ito
piccolinavoce

Postby Nacchan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:33 pm

Artists;
Koda Kumi
Rie fu -She is one of those artists who deserve more attention. Her songs are beautiful!
Bonnie Pink
Namie Amuro
Ayumi Hamasaki -I've gotten bored of her recent songs.I absolutely love her old albums though.
hitomi -I wish hitomi would come back because her music is awesome.

Groups/Bands;
Morning Musume -It's not the same without Koharu...she was my favorite MM
RIP SLYME
Ketsumeishi
Perfume
BEAT CRUSADERS
ORANGE RANGE
Nacchan

Postby ray » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:34 pm

Apart from Mika, the other Japanese artists I listen to are Utada Hikaru, Ayumi Hamasaki and Kalafina, and all 3 were recommended to me by online friends.

Utada was the first Japanese I started listening to, back in 2006. I like the fact that she writes all her music and lyrics, and her live performances are good to watch.

I only started listening to Ayumi when another online friend recommended me to her in 2008. There are many slow and fast songs of hers that I like, and I love watching her lavish concert productions.

A few months ago, a friend gave me a song by Kalafina to listen to and I enjoyed the vocal arrangements between the 3 female vocalists who each have their own distinctive voices.

Including Mika, these are the only 4 artists that I listen to and buy the CDs/DVDs of.
ray

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:51 am

Shiina Ringo/Tokyo Jihen - My favorite J-pop artist, if not my favorite. Her versatility and depth as a musician is simply astonishing, and with each release she continues to surprise her audience with sonic experiments ranging from classically elegant to outright deranged.

Onitsuka Chihiro - My other favorite J-pop artist. She's IMO the greatest voice of her generation. Few vocalists are more powerful and sincere. And her songwriting talents are just out of this world.

YUKI (of Judy and Mary fame) - The reason why I started paying attention to Japanese music, she is one of those artists that defines a whole generation. Her voice never ages and her lyrics are wacky but heartfelt, she makes me cry of joy.

The Brilliant Green - They are far from prolific, but they've been around for so long, and continues to make brilliant music to this date. They are more Brit-rock with J-pop elements, and it all fits together so perfectly.
Speakeasy

Next

Return to Music chat-room