Board index Off Topic General chat-room

Culture

Postby disaster9 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:49 am

Hey guys, I was just curious to know the culture in your society.

For example, the French! What exactly is the French's stance on strangers and subordinates? I know a French person, but he seems to have a very different perspective on people he doesn't know, I found it extremely impolite but apparently it's normal to him.

Apparently he doesn't like to strike conversation and make empty chat with a stranger because it's pointless and he doesn't care about them. I understand what he means by this, but is it normal for French people to adopt this kind of behaviour?
disaster9

Re: Culture

Postby ray » Sun May 02, 2010 5:47 pm

I live in a city in Scotland, and I find that the people here are quite friendly and helpful. For example, at the bus stops here, the younger people quite often let the elderly go on the bus first, and if all the seats are occupied, people will give up their seats for the elderly/infirm.

One negative aspect of the Scottish culture is our liking for eating junk food, so Scotland has one of the highest rates of heart disease in the Western world. Quite often, I see kids drinking fizzy sugary drinks and eating fried food all the time.
ray

Postby killertune » Sun May 02, 2010 6:51 pm

disaster9 wrote:Apparently he doesn't like to strike conversation and make empty chat with a stranger because it's pointless and he doesn't care about them. I understand what he means by this, but is it normal for French people to adopt this kind of behaviour?

I think that nowadays, there is a feeling of malaise in our society, prevailing individualism and meritocracy that made us close our mind on people around us. Everyone must fight for himself before he starts fighting for the community. That may be why we "don't care" for the people we don't know.
Then, I would not talk to strangers in the subway or in the streets, not because I don't care about them, but it's something I've never done and I don't really appreciate to be talked to when I'm busy.
Sometimes I can't help but hearing some people talk, and even if I'd die to get involved in that particular conversation, I wouldn't do it.

I know there is a small organization called ESOP (Et si on parlait ? -> Would you mind chatting ?) whose members wear a small pin on their clothes or bags and mean that they are willing to start a conversation with anybody. I might be a good start to end up that malaise around us.

Also, mp3 players killed sociability.
killertune

Postby disaster9 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:15 pm

I'd like to know more about the ESOP! What a brilliant idea. I have the same feelings too, sometimes I want so bad to speak to someone but it's frightening if they react badly.

Amen to mp3 players. :(
disaster9

Return to General chat-room